In 2000, while working in Vung Tau, Pham Van Son, founder of SOS Environment Joint Stock Company, witnessed oil spilling to the beach, polluting the entire beach area of Truoc beach. At that time, emergency incident response was not effective. Therefore, residents scrambled for oil to sell, along with a few observers sampling and measuring.
Mr. Son shuddered at that sight, he thought that if this was not oil but gasoline spilled over, then some one accidentally or intentionally fired cigarette, the incident would be catastrophic. He found himself needing to do something to stop this. From that moment, he began to study the field of oil spill response, which gradually became his passionate passion.
In 2006, SOS Environment was founded with the aim of becoming the leading provider of environmental response and solutions in Vietnam, contributing to the cause of national environmental protection. Nowadays, SOS Environment has become a professional unit in the field of oil and chemical spill response, consulting to build oil spill response plans, intensive training and environmental pollution treatment.
1. Emergency response activities to environmental incidents
As of July 2017, SOS Environment has directly involved in response and field command in 67 oil spills at localities nationwide such as Hanoi, Vĩnh Phúc, Ninh Bình, Thái Bình Hải Phòng, Quảng Ninh, Hà Tĩnh, Quảng Trị, Bình Thuận, Đăk Lăk, Bình Dương, Bình Phước, Đồng Nai, Bà Rịa – Vũng Tàu.
2. Training and skill training on environmental incident response
SOS Environment’s Training Center has organized 120 training courses on oil spill response for localities and enterprises in Vietnam with nearly 10,000 students. In details:
- 10 courses coordinated with National Search and Rescue Committee and National Oil Spill Response Centers.
- 09 courses coordinated with General Department of Sea and Islands.
- 01 oil spill response drill at provincial level (with Quang Nam People’s Committee).
- 44 courses with Departments of Natural Resources and Environment.
- 49 courses for units and enterprises nationwide.
- 05 courses with students majoring in environmental science, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Ba Ria – Vung Tau.
3.1. Consulting plans for Vietnam Environment Administration (VEA)
- Developing an action plan with the incidents/emergency response and guidance on emergency response of PCB emission incidents (national projects on managing PCB of VEA, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment).
- Developing training materials and training plans for a number of authorized agencies in localities selected to perform response and prevention activities to environment incidents related to POPs, PCBs and other toxic chemicals.
3.2. Consulting plans at provincial level
- Consulting about Developing the oil spill incident response plan and sensitivity maps for Quang Tri, Quang Binh province.
- Implementing the Scheme of Developing the oil spill incident response plan and shoreline sensitivity maps for oil spill incident response in Ha Tinh and Quang Binh province.
- Planning the partition plan using integrated coastal of Ha Tinh province until 2020, orienting to 2030.
- Developing the provincial incident response plan for rig, oil and gas pipeline explosion in Thai Binh province.
3.3. Consulting plans at grass-roots level
SOS Environment consults to develop oil spill response plan, oil pollution control solutions and supplies equipment, facilities for emergency oil spill response and oil pollution treatment for more than 1000 enterprises/ organizations. Some typical projects:
- Developing oil spill response plans for 15 airports nationwide
- Developing an oil spill response plan for Samsung Electronics Vietnam Co., Ltd
- Developing an oil-chemical spill response for Thai Binh 1 Thermal Power Plant.
- Developing an oil spill response plan for 22 key areas of Hung Nghiep Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Company.
Domestic and foreign agencies, organizations and enterprises have trusted and cooperated with SOS Environment in environmental protection.